Thursday, June 22, 2017

My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #1844: New "Summer" Scatter Block Design

After a great deal of rain over the past several days, yesterday (the first day of summer) was the first day that we had a day filled with sunshine in what seemed like a long time. It seemed appropriate. 



It also seemed appropriate that I was working on my new pattern that will include both the scroll sawn version as well as painting instructions for these cute and fun Summer Scatter Blocks (SLD537) that I showed as the ‘woodworking version’ in my last blog post:



While I feel they look nice like that, with all the inner lines cut on the scroll saw, I couldn’t help but think how pretty they would be if I painted them using some of my wonderful DecoArt colors. I recently obtained some of the new colors that DecoArt has come out with for 2017 and they were just too pretty to pass up on. (For those of you who would like them ALL, you can get a set of the nine new colors at a great price at the Artist Club online – DecoArt Acrylic Colors. If you go to the bottom of the page, you will see the set of nine new colors at a discounted price!) 



I cut a set of 'blank’ pieces for my “Summer Scatter Blocks” and I painted them with some wonderful, bright and cheery colors. I then took my polka-dot stencil from Sandy McTier Designs and (you can get her M2 Stencils here) and added some cute white dots on each of the little flower pieces. 





It amazed me at how a simple addition made such a big difference. They really made the pieces look CUTE! 



After shading each piece, I  used DecoArt Glamour Dust Ultra Fine Glitter Paint in gold and brushed the faces of all the pieces. 





Next, I painted on the lettering with a light base coat, and when that dried, I applied some gold Extreme Sheen Metallic Paint from DecoArt. 





This is another new product from DecoArt that is really amazing. The “Extreme Sheen” line of paints has so much more metallic pigment in it than their usual metallic paint! When applied, it looks much like foil!



I also dry brushed some on the black sunglasses of Mr. Sunshine and it gave a lovely effect:





Overall, I really think it made the project look AMAZING! 



And it was “Easy/Peasy”, too!  



I am really happy with how it came out and I know it will be a fun project for adults and kids alike.  I will be adding both the pattern as well as the blank wood kit to the site in the next couple of days. I hope it is a project that you will all enjoy! You can get any of these great new products at the DecoArt online store or your local craft store. I really love the new paints they have for different purposes. Just when I think they can’t come up with any more new things, they surprise me with some great new products! I am always so impressed. 



On other things, I also finished up my lighthouse painting that was designed by Jamie Mills Price:



I am thrilled with it, and I will show it with more detail in my next post. 



AND  … 



Keith has a new pattern for the scroll sawyers, too:





via Tumblr https://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/162123551854

No comments:

Post a Comment