Friday, February 17, 2017

My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #1821: Back in the Swing of Things!

One thing about posting here less often – when I do post there is so much to share with you all! I feel like things are going fast forward again and I am back on the ‘creative track’ after a bleak two months for me. Those of you who have followed me for a while know that I usually try to look at the good side of even the not-so-good thing that happen. But sometimes, that just doesn’t work. Try as I did, I found it hard to feel good about things.  It was time for me to step back and allow myself to go through the grieving process and get through my day. It seemed that every day was a challenge. But time does heal or at least soften the pain of loss and little by little I am finding my way back to my happy “Pink Cloud” and my creative place. I can’t thank you all enough for your kindness and compassion and understanding. So many of you shared stories of your own losses and your love for your little fur babies. It did help to know that I was not alone. Even though  I have never met most of you face to face, I feel a bond with you, not only because of our shared love of our pets but our love of creating. That is the type of people that I want surrounding me. Together we will find joy in this sometimes scary world. 



For some reason, though, the dark clouds have lifted and my enthusiasm and joy have slowly returned. While I still have my moments of sadness (I don’t think that will ever pass) I have once again been able to look at the good things that I have in my life and set my focus on that. There is much to be grateful for and I truly am fortunate. The love and care from those around me have helped me realize that my glass is indeed half full. My life is good. 



So without further rambling, I will get to the good part of my post – the part where I show you what is new. I am happy and excited about these things and can’t wait to show them. 



I’ll start off with a project that I actually began in November. I had the majority of the project drawn out and actually cut, but the pieces were sitting in a box in my workroom waiting to be finished. I finally got the ambition to pull it out and finish it up and I was so happy I did. It came out cuter than I even imagined it. I hope you all agree. 



It is a train that carries a nice set of alphabet letters on each car! (SLD535 - Alphabet Train with FULL Alphabet and Numbers)



I initially had this idea so that people could make it for Christmas, but as time went by, I realized that it would be suitable for any occasion. I purposely painted my own sample very simply, with no shading or fancy paint at all. (Of course, you could add more detailing if you wish!) I was thrilled at the bright, clean look that this has. It really is attractive and appealing! 



I have to say a word about the paint I used. It has quickly become one of my all time favorites for this type of project. I highly recommend it to ALL my woodworker friends and followers for any time of project that they want to add color to. The paint is by DecoArt (SURPRISE!) and it is their Multi-Surface Satin line. This paint is remarkable because it has beautiful coverage over many types of porous and non-porous surfaces, What I find most remarkable about this paint is that the finish is built right into it. You don’t need any type of sealer over it. I have used “all-in-one” products in the past with less than desirable result. I find that most products that are like this give uneven, streaky finishes and coverage. They tend to be sticky, too and not lay down nicely. But not the Multi-Surface Satin!  We used this product two or three years ago when Keith rebuilt his speakers and made a unit for our TV and audio equipment:





The pieces are as beautiful as the day we painted them, even after everyday use. We just use a damp cloth to dust them and they look outstanding. I have purchased more of this project for several of the projects that I plan to do in the near future here in our new home. I can’t wait to share them with you. 



I highly recommend that you give this product a try. You can see the full line of beautiful, bright colors on DecoArt’s website HERE and download a complete color chart. They are available at most craft stores or you can order them online at DecoArt’s website HERE.  I am sure that once you try them, you will agree. They are suitable for OUTDOOR projects, too and like all of DecoArt’s products, they have no odor and clean up with soap and water. It is really something that I fall more in love with every time I use it. I think you will, too!



I have one more photo of the train for you to see so you can better see the size:





I think it would be fun to have at a birthday party or even baby shower. One thing that I want to mention is that this train is NOT intended as a toy! It is really something with small pieces (such as the screw eyes that connect the cars) and they can be easily swallowed. It also isn’t as sturdy as something that a young child would play with. It is intended as a decoration. 



My next new exciting bit of news is that I was invited by Jodi Noordyk to offer the wood pieces for her new, beautiful design called “Gypsy Dreams”:




Jodi is new to designing and I have to say, she did a beautiful job not only with this awesome design, but writing the packet, too. You can buy the ornament surface(s) here:  SLDPK160  They are sold in sets of three, as it wouldn’t have made sense to ship one single piece. I think the shape is something that can lend itself to many other designs as well, and I think that Jodi will be working on more beautiful creations using this shape.   You can get the pattern packet at the Decorative Painting Store HERE as an instant download. I hope if you like it, you support Jodi’s new designing adventure. I can’t wait to see more of her designs! 



And finally – I want to make you all aware of a wonderful special that I am running for my painters. For a limited time, I am offering TWO of my painting patterns for the price of one. 





This product number “Special Offer 2” combines two popular patterns for spring and summer, using two different techniques. The first pattern is an introduction to using Margot Clark’s MUD technique. (You can get her MUD at her website HERE)  For those who don’t know, MUD is a texture paste create by Margot that is fun and easy to use and dries hard as a rock. She has many videos and tutorials for this technique, and my pattern has LOADS of step-by-step photos to make the pretty flowers shown on the bunnies. Trust me – once you try it, you will be HOOKED!



The other pattern uses the same shapes with a totally different process. This pattern uses DecoArt products to create this beautiful and subtle crackled finish. I used the crackle over pretty spring and summer colors and finished each bunny with some simple stroke work and hot-fix rhinestones. The stroke work has a layer of DecoArt Glamour Dust Ultra Fine Glitter Paint over it and a pretty satin bow for a lovely mixture of textures and finishes. 



Both of these projects are fun and easy and the little bunnies will look wonderful as plant pokes, magnets, or even done in a beautiful wreath! (I made my mom-in-law a wreath with the bunnies and it is lovely!) 



PLUS – I am also offering the bunny surfaces at a discount. For a limited time, you can get this set of 10 bunnies for $1 off. (SLDPK211)  Couple this with the pattern and you have a pretty good deal. It is a great way to paint away these winter blues we are having. :)



So as you can see, I am back to being pretty busy again. On top of this, I have been working on some wonderful new things with some of my favorite designers and also for myself. I am back to the place where I can’t wait to get up each morning and start my day. It is a good  place to be. 



I think that is a long enough post for today. Little by little I will be returning to blogging more frequently again. Thanks to all of you who stuck by me through my down time and welcome to all my new followers. Feel free to share and comment on any blogs you wish. I love to hear your feedback. 



We had another 'blizzard’ pass through yesterday and had no mail service again. I am hope we have some today, as Monday is a holiday. I suppose the only annoyance with winter for me is that I can’t get my orders posted as quickly when they post office isn’t operating. But everyone is pretty patient and most do understand. It is out of my control. 



I wish you all a great Friday and fun weekend! I know I will have lots of fun, too. I can’t wait to show you what is in store!  



Have a great day!  Keep creating! 










via Tumblr http://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/157357682659

No comments:

Post a Comment