Wednesday, November 2, 2016

My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #1797: My Winter Pumpkin

As a designer, we try to think of original things to create. When I mentioned that I wanted to make a “blue pumpkin with Christmas roses” on it, he cringed. He just didn’t see my vision. 



That is the risk we need to take every time we try something new. Over the years, I have learned to have a pretty tough skin. I used to be greatly influenced by those around me when I had an idea as to what I was going to design. I would try my best to explain things so that people would be able to see the same vision that I was seeing in my head, but I wasn’t always successful in doing so. I think sometimes we just assume that others can grasp the ideas we have and understand them fully, but the more I created, the more I saw this wasn’t the case. 



In my early days, I used to try to tell people what I was thinking and in a way, obtain their approval or encouragement. But after realizing that most didn’t have the same ‘vision’ that I had of these things – no matter how accurately I described it – I also realized that I was asking approval on something that perhaps wasn’t at all what I was thinking about. When those people would describe them back to me or see them finished, I would find out that their concept of my idea and the actual idea were often not even close. It was a good lesson to be learned. 



I think back on how many ideas that I shared that were 'nixed’ because I didn’t have the confidence to move ahead on my own and asked the opinion of an outsider. It is a shame really when I think about it. There were probably at least a couple of 'good ideas’ that got trashed before they even had a chance. I suppose I will never know. 



The reason I am telling you this story is because I want you all to realize this when you are coming up with your own ideas. While sometimes it is nice to have feedback on certain aspects of things, remember to take it with a grain of salt and try not to allow others who may not see the same vision as clearly as you do stop you from trying something new. You probably will surprise not only yourself, but them as well and it will help feed your confidence in anything you create whether it be painting, drawing or designing. Every idea my not be the biggest hit, but at least you know it had a fair chance. And I look at the ones that don’t make it as 'school’ where I learned something from the process. It is a win/win.



Now back to my blue pumpkin … 



I had a couple of stumbling blocks in creating this pumpkin. I learned a lot while making it. But by figuring things out, I learned a bit about the process and I will now be able to apply that knowledge to other projects and share the information with you. Whether the project is a 'hit’ or not with others is rather inconsequential. It was a benefit to me and will be to others indirectly, too. 



I finished painting the glass pumpkin yesterday and this is the result. 



I must say, it is pretty darn close to what I had pictured in my head. I wanted something 'different’ that could be displayed not only through the Christmas season, but the winter as well. 



The design is quite simple, with some gently float-shaded leaves and petals to form the flowers. 



You can’t see it on the photograph, but the centers and spots on the petals are metallic gold. 



I even painted the fabric leaves with some matching paint and metallic gold:

Overall, it makes a nice presentation, I think. I already sprayed my own piece with some gloss varnish and I MAY add some crystal rhinestones just for a finishing accent. (I haven’t decided yet!).



To create this pretty piece, I used all DecoArt products (Americana Acrylic paint, Metallic Lustre acrylic wax finish, Chalky Paint for Glass and Gloss Spray acrylic varnish) Everything is odor-free and cleans up with soap and water. 



I am spending today creating the pattern packet and the video that will be available on ToleTown. I invite you to check it out. You can join for a very small fee and you gain a wealth of classes, patterns and videos. It is well worth the small fee. 



I hope you like this piece as much as I do. I know it isn’t the norm, but I think it is a fun and unique project that can be displayed the entire winter. 



Sometimes thinking of things that are a bit different can be a lot of fun. I think this was one of those time. 



Enjoy your Wednesday! 



via Tumblr http://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/152641881174

No comments:

Post a Comment