Thursday, October 27, 2016

Online Scroll Saw Class - Incredibly Fun Adventures in Scroll Sawing #14: Multi-Tasking

It has been quite busy, as usual here for me these days. I was truly grateful and overwhelmed by everyone’s response to my drawing of Pancakes. It truly makes me feel that I am on the right track with things and I am doing something right. Again – I have to give a huge ‘thank you’ to teachers who present online classes for us to learn and expand our artistic horizons. It his world of negativity and sadness, it does wonders to focus on something as simple as creating as an 'escape’. I am often asked how I can remain so happy all the time. Like everyone, I have my issues, but for the most part I try to focus on things that are positive and uplifting, and I try to uplift others as well through my art. It is hard to stay sad when you see the happiness you are able to bring to others. Making even a small, positive difference in others’ lives really makes a difference in my own. Again – thank you.



So what do I have planned for today?  



Lots! 



As I look on my desk at all the things I want to tackle today, I know I will be having quite a bit of fun. It is filled with new  projects, trying new products and general creating for patterns and classes. 





I don’t know where to begin first! (What a wonderful problem to have!)



I’ll start with the pumpkin that I am creating for an online class for Toletown. I am privileged to be a member of their design team, and I have projects with videos up for the months of November and December. I haven’t done videos in quite a while because with us moving and all, I have had to get my footing in my new studio and environment and figure out how I was going to do things. My previous videos were done in our small apartment kitchen and the lighting and so forth were not really what I would call “optimal”. I had to hang the tripod off of the microwave behind me to hold the camera and while it worked, it certainly didn’t give the best result. 



Now I have a big, bright place to create in. Keith built a stand for my camera that should allow a great 'bird’s eye’ view of what I am doing. I can’t wait to try it out. Hopefully this will mean more videos in the future. I like doing them, but since I have so much time in between them there is a learning curve every time I go back and do another. I hope to build up the library on my site and YouTube Channel so there is more information on woodworking, painting and yes – even embroidery. I hope you stick with me or check back to see how I am doing for that. 



In any case, I liked the way the glass pumpkin came out that i did using Kim Christmas’ pattern that I decided I wanted to make one for my own class:



Of course I won’t be doing the same design, but I have some ideas of my own that will use this glass pumpkin that I picked up for under $7 at our Bulk Barn and use some cool DecoArt products to create a cool, unusual piece:



I can promise it will be unlike any pumpkins you have ever seen! :)  (Keith tilted his head to the side when I told him what I had planned and said “Huh?”)  I suppose that you are either going to like it or not. That is what creating original art is all about, right? 



My next project of the day is to finish off this word art pattern for my scrolling followers. I suppose there isn’t really a mystery involved with this project, but I want to offer a couple of versions of it so that if you want to dabble in painting, you can give it a try. I think you will like the result for that project as well, and I hope it encourages some woodworkers to try their hand at painting! ;) 



And finally – I want to try out the Krylon Gallery Series Fine Art fixatif for protecting my pastel picture of Pancakes.



This isn’t the 'regular’ fixativ from Krylon – I got it from an art store and it cost about twice as much. (La-de-DA!) But as you see on the can, it is supposed to protect artwork without dulling or killing the highlights and it lists pastels specifically on the label. I tried another fixativ when I was drawing Pancakes to 'set’ his eyes, and it did kill many of the highlights. I wasn’t too concerned, as I still had a while to go with the drawing and I just added them back in, but now that it is finished, I don’t want to ruin it by dulling everything out. Yet I feel I need to protect it. I will certainly post the result for everyone to see. 



So there is the plan of the day. I also want to make a nice pot of vegetable beef barley soup. I picked up some fresh corn and beans and it is another brisk, yet sunny day today. Soup will be a welcome treat. 



I wish you all a lovely day today. I will be back tomorrow with progress on my several projects at hand.  I can’t wait to see them all get finished up! 



Happy Thursday to you all! 




via Tumblr http://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/152380425314

No comments:

Post a Comment