Wednesday, August 3, 2016

My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #1755: #1755 Some New Patterns

Over the past several months, it has been difficult to get what some call our ‘real work’ done. Both Keith and I have been torn in so many directions. But finally (FINALLY!) it seems that things are getting back on track and we are once again falling into a somewhat “normal” pattern (whatever that is!) It is a welcome change. 



Being self-employed has its plusses and minuses. Obviously, I think there are far more plusses, or I wouldn’t be doing what I do. I get to do what I love every single day – and that is a big plus – but sometimes it is hard to completely walk away from 'work’ and focus on other things. To me, it is a small price to pay, but it is hard not to feel guilty about not giving my full attention to the career I worked so hard to achieve. After a while, it becomes ingrained in me that if I am not focusing on the business every waking minute, I am not trying hard enough and if I don’t succeed, that would be a big part of the reason. 



But over the years, I have learned that isn’t the case. Taking time away for family, friends and life in general is not only desirable, but I believe imperative to being successful. It helps you recharge and remain excited and fresh about things. If your business is in your face and in your head every waking second of the day, you would soon burn out and grow to dislike it. The old saying “you can’t miss me if I don’t go away” certainly applies here. 



So I walk away for a day sometimes. Or even a couple of hours. And I have learned not to look back when I do this. I used to feel guilty about it – like I wasn’t trying hard enough – but when I return, it seems that I have more energy and enthusiasm than before left. I not only accomplish more, but in my head, I actually “like” the business more. It is a good thing for everyone. 



I kind of feel like that now. After these several weeks of mainly focusing on our new house and moving, I really, really MISSED working every day. As I packed and unpacked supplies, and thought of all the potential they all have for becoming new designs, my excitement and enthusiasm has reached an all time high. (That is saying a lot!)  I am SO excited about the new things I have in mind and I can’t wait to create them.  So let’s get going!



I spent some time last week back at my computer drawing. This time I was making some new designs for scroll saw patterns. When organizing my files for backing them up, I saw that I had not produced a lot of new scrolling patterns of late, and I thought that I would try to do better in that area of designing. It wasn’t as if I was being lazy or anything like that, but like my grandmother used to say – “We are like a pie – the more slices we cut, the smaller the slices are.” How true is that? 



I realize that my pie is cut into many different slices. My love of creating spans over many types of different media. I love woodworking, painting, drawing, and yes – needlework, and I hope to continue to develop each of these areas with new designs. I have many cool ideas and some even overlap each other. It is an exciting and happy way to spend my days – dreaming of what I will make next. And while I sometimes assimilate it to keeping triplets happy, I think that I can do a good job in the right environment. I believe that is right where I am. 



We updated the site yesterday with some new patterns. Unfortunately for my painting followers, I don’t have anything new yet, but rest assured, I am working on new things as we speak for you and I will be showing them soon – hopefully by next week. I think you will like what I am doing and I hope you hang around to see. 



But for now, here is what I have come up with … 



I was thinking ahead to fall and Halloween, and looking at some beautiful Gothic architecture and I had the idea for a couple of nice Gothic cross patterns for the scroll saw. I created two sets of four designs each, with three sizes of the pattern in each packet. This way they can make ornaments or plaques or even overlays for other pieces. I am offering a special for those who buy both sets, You can get them here on the site: SLD531 – Set of all 8 Gothic Cross and Overlay Plaques.



Keith has also gotten back into the swing of things. Besides his new set of word in word Bible plaques that I showed earlier (SLDK684):



… he has two new  plaques from his Self-Framing Leaf Bordered plaque series. This time he used fish as subjects. The first one is SLDK240 - Striped Bass:



The second one is a Black Crappie (SLDK241): 



I think both are awesome. 



All of these patterns are available on our site by following the links. 



Little by little things are settling in. We are finding that no matter how organized or prepared you are for something, some times things just take time. It does feel good to be on this side of things though. There are less 'unknowns’ and there is a clear path ahead. I can live with that. 



This morning is another spectacular beginning to the day. I use the term “spectacular” because it is warm and sunny, but not hot or humid. Just perfect weather as far as I am concerned. We have been very fortunate this year with our weather. This is probably the most comfortable summer since I have been here (12 years now!) 



I wish you all a wonderful day today as well. Remember to be patient with yourselves. Don’t forget that everything can’t happen instantly. Some things (usually the best or most significant things in life) just take some time. Respect that and allow it to unfold as it may. It is part of living. 



Happy Wednesday to you all! 



via Tumblr http://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/148397720009

No comments:

Post a Comment