Friday, August 26, 2016

My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #1768: Enjoying the Journey

It is raining today. That is good for us here in Nova Scotia. 



While it has been a beautiful summer by most people’s standards (mine, anyway!) it has been quite dry and the rain is very much appreciated. I supposed that it is appropriate that the piece “Raindrops” by Chopin just came on my headphones. I didn’t plan it that way. I am listening to a six hour playlist of ‘relaxing classical music’ from YouTube. I like that lately in the morning. It is a good way to begin my day. 



My day started 'late’ today. I slept in until just after 8am. For me that is late because I am usually up at six. I have been working the 'night shift’ a bit though and didn’t get to sleep until after midnight. I don’t want to burn the candle at both ends and get ill.  Besides … it felt good to roll over one more time and get a little additional sleep. Hearing the falling rain does that to me. I love hearing the sound of it outside the window. It is so calming. 



I have a lot planned for this weekend, although by some people’s standards it may not be too exciting. Today I am going to finish my “Cinderella Mouse” piece by Peggy Harris. (Those who are interested in doing this piece yourself can get the wood and pattern on Peggy’s Facebook Page.)  It is a delightful project that I am thoroughly enjoying.  Even though I am a slow painter, it is going pretty quickly considering the actual time I have put into it. I have been posting the progress photos in one of my Facebook painting groups and 'visiting’ with my fellow painters each evening while painting it. If my hands were kept busy pushing the brushes rather than typing, I would have probably already finished. But the journey is really the best part. Lots of painters know that. 



Yesterday, we left our Charming Prince half-naked and poor little “Cindy” unclothed. (That sounds a bit risque, doesn’t it??)  



I was  pretty pleased with the fur though, except the underside of the Prince’s head. There was a gap between his neck and arm, making him look … well … “odd”.



I added some extra fur in and shaded and highlighted his clothing.



Adding the gold metallic buttons and trim absolutely delighted me! I think you can see in this photo that I had previously brushed a very subtle wash of gold metallic paint on the railings (after all – this IS a MAGICAL moment!) and I loved that subtle effect. But the shiny gold paint really adds a lot to his outfit, making him look quite regal. I was pleased as could be with him so far! 



At this point, it was nearly midnight and I was starting to get tired. But poor “Cindy” was still without clothing. I thought that perhaps I would just begin the under layers of her fluffy dress before heading off to bed. But it was so relaxing and fun, that I continued on for quite a bit, and worked on it until it was 'almost’ done. 



She still needs detailing and highlights and glazing, but she is well on her way. I was premature when putting the blue bow in, as I still have some things I want to do to the body of the dress itself. I suppose it is good I quit when I did, as I was getting anxious to finish and I find when I push too hard, I muck it up because I rush things. So I had the presence of mind to tidy up things and sleep on it. I am glad I did. 



I think that I want to apply a layer of DecoArt Glamour Dust to just the dress (after the final shading and highlighting, of course!) After all, she is a princess. She should have a dress that shimmers, right?   Then when the dress is complete I only have to paint the crown, chandelier and slippers. for the main piece. Then the final frame and I am DONE! (And YES! I see that they both need TAILS! I will do them last!)



I am really loving painting this fun piece. Part of me feels that I have no business doing this because I have so many of my own pieces that I want to develop. But like my Lynne Andrews  list of pieces that I WILL be painting, I knew I HAD to do this one. I am happy that I have Willow (my grand daughter) so I have an 'excuse’ to take time out to do this. (Let’s be honest – I would have done it anyway! )



Sometimes it is the journey that is just as satisfying as the destination. Keith always says to me “your leisure time looks a lot like your work time.”  I suppose he is right. (Don’t let him know I said that!)  But think how FORTUNATE I am to have that as an observation. 



I truly love what I do every single day. I am hoping that I can continue it as long as I am here on this Earth. Not many can say that. 



This weekend, I plan on developing my own next painting project for Tole Town (for their September Quick Paint!) and working on a new scrolling pattern. I think that will keep me busy – rain or shine.  I also have orders to fill for the darling “Boo Bunnies” that I featured in yesterday’s post. I am happy they were well-received and I plan to paint my own stand up set for myself.  



But that will be for another day … 



Happy Friday to you all! Remember to take time to enjoy your own journey. It really makes your life FUN! 






via Tumblr http://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/149508778464

No comments:

Post a Comment