Friday, July 22, 2016

My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #1749: Longing for 'Routine'

It has been over three weeks now since we made our ‘final move’ to our new home. In reality, it is closer to four. I look back and consider 'moving day’ as the day we finally brought the cats here to our new home and began sleeping here, after our bed arrived. One would think that we would be all settled by now. Anyone who knows both Keith and I know how much we love to be organized. While he and I have many differences in the way we do things, one thing that we really see eye to eye on is having our things and work areas 'in place’ so that we have the most comfort and efficiency possible. It really is a way of life for both of us. 



But sometimes 'life’ isn’t very organized, is it?  We are thrown curve balls by circumstances and our own unrealistic expectations from ourselves are not met. It is then when we need to pull upon the 'flexible’ part of our personalities and adapt and make the best of things. Sometimes that is easier to do than other times though. 



Moving from a small, one bedroom place to a house has been a challenge. Not in a bad way, but sometimes overwhelming nonetheless. When we made the decision to move her in March, the moving day of July 1st seemed like an eternity away. We wondered how we would last that long and there was an incredible amount of anticipation and planning on our part. Looking back, I am grateful for those many months. Without that extra time I think it would have taken us twice as long to adapt. The chaos of living in disarray would have doubled in time at least and we would have had to push even harder. 



Yes. We did it right. But it is still unsettling and takes a bit of time to get used to.



Things are coming along very slowly. I WANT to get back to a routine and producing as much work as I did prior to moving. I know that eventually I will get to that point, but the journey back has taken much longer than I could have anticipated. Are my expectations of myself too high?  Or am I just slowing down as I get older?  I can’t tell which is the case. 



As I look around me this morning, I do realize that we have accomplished much in these past few weeks. Last weekend I finished making the curtains for my studio room:









The room is shaping up, yet not completed yet.  I still need to make the cushion covers for the daybed and the small bench. I had purchased some lovely white linen for that purpose and I plan to dye it in a way that will make it look really cool and 'artsy’. (The vision is in my head!) It will bring some vibrant color to the “white room” and hopefully look wonderful. I also want to build a shelf for the wall to the right of the bed. I want to put a groove in it so that I can display a painting or several paintings at once and change it over from time to time. I am not a fan of putting holes in the wall – especially if I plan to change things. I think that this would be a nice way to enjoy my favorite or seasonal works of art. 



We are still awaiting five large pieces of furniture, but got word that they will be arriving on Monday. Two of the pieces will reside in my studio. Both will be large cabinets to hold my (already sorted) craft and work supplies. One will go between the small window wall on that side of the room:







And the other (taller) cabinet will go on the opposite side, next to my desk:







As you can see, there are piles of supplies that will be finding a nice home. As things are now, every time I need something, I have to fish through the boxes and (of course) what I am looking for is usually buried on the bottom of the pile. I can’t wait for them to have a home! 



We are having two large pieces made as well for our dining room, and similar piles are located there. 



Finally, there is a large cabinet for the laundry/mud room in our entry way and it will be used for storing house cleaners, the vacuum, etc. 



It is hard to get 'settled’ until these things are put in their places. Monday will be a big day for us, and once we have these large pieces, we can finally feel like we are well on our way to 'settling’. 



Because of this, I have found it a bit hard to concentrate and get back on track. I have tried working on some new things, but even settling in at my new desk requires some getting used to. I can’t tell you all how many times I have rearranged things on my desktop. I am trying to find a comfortable position for everything so that I can feel at home and at ease when I work. I can only assimilate it to when we drive a new car that isn’t ours – we feel somewhat uncomfortable and awkward.

 

Perhaps it is just a matter of giving things a little more time … 



Even the cats are  still adapting. While they seemed to be getting used to the new surroundings, and liking them, the other day Richard and Pancakes had a horrific brawl. There was literally fur clumps everywhere and fortunately no one was hurt in the fight. Keith and I both had to run upstairs to break them apart, as they sounded like they were killing each other. Anyone who has heard cats fight knows how terrible it sounds.  



After the fight, they were constantly growling at each other like the other was a stranger. They have been together for 10 years and while they weren’t best of buddies, they were never like this. I decided the solution was to give them both a bath, using my Chanel soap that I use on myself. This worked once before when I had two cats that saw a stray and flew into combat with each other. I have read that they misplace the aggression on each other rather than the 'new’ animal. Since the owners of our house here had two dogs and a cat, there is no doubt that there are still scents of those pets lingering. 



In any case, yesterday morning was spent 'cat washing’. 







That is Richard on the left and Pancakes on the right. When they dried out, things were a bit better, although we still heard a grumble every once in a while. Since they all smelled like me, it helped neutralize the aggression and calm things down. Go figure. 



It is a traumatic process for everyone, it seems. Yesterday, I decided since I wasn’t feeling very creative in my own right, I would work on my “12 Days of  Christmas” ornaments by Lynne Andrews. I am behind in doing my six sets and working on Day 6. It was a good way to 'push the pile’ and at least accomplish something. 







They are coming along nicely, and I hope to be able to send them out next week. 







At least seeing them come to life makes me feel there is hope. Not to be able to change the focus on to my own projects … 



It is all a process and I need to respect that and let it take its course. I think I am writing this post this morning more for myself than for you all to read. I need to keep telling myself “Things will get back to routine.” over and over again. With “routines” comes familiarity and comfort. That frees up my thinking and allows my focus to be on creating new things. We all work differently, but that is how things are for me.  I need to allow the process to play out and respect the time it takes. 



… soon … 



I wish you all a wonderful Friday and a great weekend ahead. I plan on making my weekend wonderful and productive. Happy Friday to you all!



via Tumblr http://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/147797263484

No comments:

Post a Comment