Monday, February 22, 2016

My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer #1700: Along Came a (Little, Fat) Spider!

As usual, the weekend went by much too quickly. We had a ‘visiting day’ on Friday, and I had earmarked Saturday for cutting orders. Sunday was to be my day to 'relax’, but that didn’t really happen. (It never really does!)  I am not complaining though, as I did accomplish a lot and I was able to spend the latter part of the evening finishing up my Panel 1 on my latest embroidery project. 



So much is going on lately in my life it seems. The growth of our business is really becoming more and more evident as each day/week/month passes. That is wonderful news for us because we have worked so hard for many years to achieve success. Slowly and surely things are changing. 



A lot of times, changes mean discomfort. We are naturally creatures of habit and for the most part we like a routine. When things disrupt that rhythm it sometimes throws us for a loop. I think that how we deal with changes will certainly dictate how our future will be. Either we need to adjust with the changes or find ourselves trying to figure things out. It can be a bit intimidating. 



As I look at the pile of boxes that will be taken to the post office today to be shipped, I am really proud of what we have accomplished so far. Even though I have been much busier in producing wood kits for our customers, I am happy to say that I send each box out knowing that the quality of what I ship is better than ever. Not that it was bad before, but as we do something over and over again, it seems natural that we find a better way to do thing, as we learn as we go. I think in that respect that I have improved quite a bit over the years. It really makes me feel good about what I am offering to my customers.



We got some promising news over the weekend as well regarding our life in general. I don’t want to say much about it yet, as it is still in the planning stages, but there are going to be some changes over the year which will be quite significant for Keith and I and we believe will make our lives much better. I don’t mean to sound cryptic about it, but I can’t help but be excited and even though I can’t really discuss it now, it gives me a sense of hope and happiness for a great step up for us. I promise to talke about it more as things progress. It is all good. 



I am happy that so many of you are interested in seeing my embroidery projects. I always get nice feedback when I show them here in my blog. I really believe that creative people like many different types of creating, and few that I know are focused only on one venue. I still plan to begin creating some small embroidery kits to sell as soon as time permits. I have so many ideas of my own designs that I want to share and I know that by offering the supplies that many of you would be interested. It is so much fun. 



Keith often says that my 'time off’ closely resembles my work time. Isn’t that a wonderful thing? I suppose it shows how much I truly love what I do and it shows that most of my day is spent doing something that I really and truly love. I am very fortunate. 



Last night I was able to finish Panel 1 on my latest embroidery project. This is a kit by Di van Neikerk from her fourth book. I named the project “Every Flower Has a Soul” because each of these flowers seemed to speak to me. I find it pure joy and relaxation to sit down at the end of a busy day and just stitch. Having a project like this on the go is so relaxing. I can pick it up for five minutes or five hours and because I am following someone else’s directions, it takes little thought on my part. There is some freedom in following others’ directions – especially when they are so well-written. I am sure that those of you who craft (which is most of you, I expect) can attest to that. And when I see the end result, I feel pleased and accomplished. It reminds me why I love to create in the first place. 



All I needed to do was make a little, fat spider. The book had a metal spider earring that it added to the web, but I chose to create a stumpwork (dimensional) spider instead. So here is the photo of the finished panel:





He came out pretty cute, I think. He is just a bit smaller than my finger nail:



I created him on a separate piece of fabric and cut him out and gathered the excess so he is slightly puffy. I then embroidered his legs right on the panel after he was attached. It gave a really need effect. 



I truly love this type of creating. It is so much fun and so relaxing to me. 





(Try as I did, the light was just not great for good photos. I will do better later on and add them in then.)



Today I will be painting on my “12 Days of Christmas” ornaments by Lynne Andrews. I am working on Day 3 and hope to send them out at the beginning of March. 



It is a bright and beautifully warm February day here in Nova Scotia. So odd for our area for this time of year. It is very much like spring and even though it is much too early to think of that, there is hope that winter is pretty much behind us. Even though I like winter, I think after last year when it lingered so long, I am happy to have the snowy season so short this year. 



I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. I wish you all a wonderful week ahead. Happy Monday to you! 












via Tumblr http://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/139789954034

No comments:

Post a Comment