Wednesday, January 6, 2016

My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer #1674: Getting Back in a Routine

It isn’t as if I really took time ‘off’, but more that I was focused on some different things. I suppose though without the usual self-imposed deadlines I did slack off a bit. It just didn’t feel that way. 



One would think that taking time off would mean sipping coffee and daydreaming about how I plan to while away the hours of the day … Oh!  The romantic visions we have!  But in reality, we all know how quickly those vacation days pass and how when we look back at them we find ourselves wondering, “Where did all my 'leisure’ time go?”  



I am no different. 



It felt weird not writing here every day. I have stated many times before that part of why I write here each morning is for my own benefit. It seems that I need to be accountable to someone or something to make my day as productive as I can, and sitting down and planning out my day in writing here has not only helped keep me on track, but also helps keep my thinking organized. I believe that that alone is a good enough reason to blog. Then add to it the feedback and encouragement from you, my readers, and I think it is a very positive thing. I can’t tell you all how many times I have been tired at the end of a day and contemplated packing it in except for the fact that I wanted to continue on so I would have something to show for my next days’ blog. While I know that you are all forgiving and this is something that I kind of made up in my head (the accountability), it sure helps push me a little harder on those days when I feel a bit lazy. It is good for me and good for my business as well. 



I believe that I am in my sixth year of blogging at this point. I kind of lost count. I can’t begin to tell you all how much it has helped me and my business. It has also brought me many friends and those friends have offered many good suggestions that have also benefited myself and Keith. For that, I am very appreciative. It has been a wonderful use of my early morning hours. 



I spent the day yesterday packaging up orders and getting the first batch shipped out. About half of them are sent and the other half should be going out today. We did the 'simple’ orders first, and both Keith and I had to take a bit of time to fill out customs forms, address boxes and pack everything carefully. Then, when we arrived at the post office, it took a while for everything to be checked in. We were hoping that they would be able to process multiple packages at once, but alas, it was not so. Each one had to have the individual postal code or zip code typed in manually and the postmaster had to go through a variety of screens for each. 



Since we live in a small town, they have only one register at our facility. This makes it hard when someone comes in line behind us. I figured out that I wouldn’t be good in a job like that because I always feel so stressed when people are waiting behind us. We did have her divide our transaction into two parts so that people could get their business done in between. That did make me feel better, but just as we started up again a man and a young boy came in to mail a package and unfortunately they had to wait for several minutes for us to finish up. They were nice and not cross with us, but I felt nervous nonetheless. I don’t know – it is just me. 



When we arrived home, I still had a bit of cutting to do. Besides the ornament kits that I showed yesterday, there were several other wood kits ordered. I took inventory and decided to get things cut that I needed right away – and then some. It is funny that even a day away from the saw was enough 'rest’ for me. I even cut additional pieces for those kits that were depleted. So today, just about everything else is ready to ship, and we will once again spend the day boxing things up and getting them to the post office. It feels good to accomplish so much in so little time. It will also feel great to have the 'all clear’ and be caught up by tomorrow. ;) 



Keith in the meantime has created two new word plaques that he put up on the site last night. The first one is a Christmas themed plaque for those who want to get an early start on next year’s projects. We find that lots of our Christmas patterns sell right AFTER the holiday – probably by those who want to get a run on things. His new plaque is called SLDK636 Have A Very Merry Christmas:



The second plaque that he created is one that can be used all year long. It is called SLDK637 Welcome - Blessed All Who Enter:



I really like them both. I love the format and design of these.  Both patterns are available on our site at the links provided. 



I have some new scroll saw designs in the works as well. I had hoped to have them by the new year, but with the rush of kits ordered, they had to be put aside for the moment. As soon as I catch up I will be working on them and hopefully I will have them ready by next week. We are due for a site update soon, and I hope to have them then, or shortly after. 



I do hope you all had a good holiday. It is hard to believe we are already entering a new year. While the beginning of the new year may seem insignificant to some, I always feel that it is a good excuse to look at things as a fresh start and a reason to let go of past mistakes and look ahead. Perhaps it is silly, but it helps me remain positive. (It is kind of the way I look at “Monday” every week!) 



I wish you all a wonderful day today. It is Wednesday already and hard to believe that we are half way to the weekend. 



Time certainly marches on quickly when we are busy!  



Have a great day! 



via Tumblr http://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/136742340559

No comments:

Post a Comment