Monday, January 18, 2016

My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer #1682: Fun With DecoArt Metallic Lustre Acrylic Wax

I had a truly busy weekend and I am finally feeling as if I am getting caught up with things. I spent much of Saturday cutting orders and I will be sending all of them out today. Then I can get on to more designing and some other things. 



I also finished creating the pattern packets for my SLD521 Damask Heart Ornaments and also my SLD522 Heart and Soul Damask Candle Tray that I showed last week. I am really thrilled with these patterns and I love how they came out. 



But … 



While the wood is pretty on its own, I really thought that I wanted to add more to it.  I purposely ‘stack-cut’ the ornaments with one layer of 1/8" Baltic birch plywood underneath so I would have an extra set to 'play’ with.  DecoArt recently had come out with a new color of its beautiful Metallic Lustre Acrylic Wax called “Rose Gold” and I had a jar of it here just screaming to be used on these romantic-themed projects! So I gave it a go.



I chose six of the colors that I thought would be suitable for a nice, romantic theme:



<div>The colors I picked were Fab Fuchsia, Silver Spark, Champagne Ice, Majestic Purple, Radiant Red, and NEW Rose Gold. For product information and to see the full line of colors, you can visit DecoArt’s site http://decoart.com/metallics/metallic-lustre” target=”_blank”>HERE.



The Metallic Lustres are one of my favorite of DecoArt’s products. The are an acrylic, water-based “wax” that can be applied in several different ways. It is particularly wonderful to apply to relief surfaces, such as picture frames or textured stenciling, but also looks great on fretwork as well. Because it is an acrylic based product, it thins and cleans up with water, and has absolutely NO odor to it. I think that is a definite 'plus’. And because it is a wax, it is very easy to control the application. You can use a damp cosmetic sponge to daub it on for stenciling, or a stencil brush to 'dry brush’ it over textures and stencils, or you can even use a little water to thin it and make it more liquid, for fine, detailed areas.  Below are some photos of how I applied it to my fretwork … 



For the heart ornaments, I decided to use a traditional stencil brush. This is a brush that is round and has stiff, flat bristles. I decided that for my ornaments, I would NOT be adding the Metallic Lustres to the sides of the designs, as the were pretty intricately cut. I thought that leaving them the natural wood color would be very attractive and I chose to apply the Metallic Lustre to only the face and back of each ornament by lightly loading the brush and gently tapping the color into place:



The stiff, flat bristles in combination with using just a small amount of wax helped to keep the color from going over the edge. I absolutely LOVED this pale pinkish gold “Rose Gold” color!  I think I have a new favorite! 



I like it so much in fact that I decided to use it on the hearts of my SLD522 Heart and Soul Candle Tray as well:





I only wanted it on the face of the six hearts though, and for the places where the hearts met the frame, I used a stiff, flat (shader) brush and thinned down the Metallic Lustre a bit with water so I could paint it on with a bit more control.





It worked BEAUTIFULLY!





I continued to color the other five hearts with the colors I had chosen. The Radiant Red looked especially beautiful!





When I was done last night, I had quite a beautiful collection:



I was told by DecoArt that I needed to allow the Metallic Lustre to “dry” several hours or overnight before proceeding.  while they look beautiful now, I still have some wonderful things in store for them to finish them off. 



I will continue my process in tomorrow’s post. I think you will like what I have in mind. The beautiful ornaments will be taken to another level, I think and will really look lovely. 



I hope you liked this step-by-step blog. I think that this product is a great way to enrich your scroll work as well as your painted work. As I said – there are so many wonderful ways to use this wax that I am sure it will open a whole new creative avenue for you all. (Especially if you like 'shimmer’!)  The colors are outstanding and so rich and lovely. What a wonderful way to enhance your creations!



We have had more snow and ice over the weekend and last evening, and It is a 'typical’ winter day here in Nova Scotia. It appears that winter has finally arrived and will be around for a while. I may as well stay inside here and create. What better way to spend my time?



I wish you all a wonderful day and a fun and creative week ahead. Happy Monday to you all!</div>



via Tumblr http://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/137552228984

No comments:

Post a Comment