Thursday, January 14, 2016

My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer #1680: Odds and Ends

Somehow when the calendar page turns to a new year, I always get the urge to reorganize. 



It seems that as I pack away my holiday decorations, I am always thinking of which closets I want to weed through and which cabinets to straighten. I also seem to include my computer in this reorganization effort, as it seems like a great time to sort files and back everything up completely. While I do back up frequently throughout the year, it feels great to purge and sort and clean my electronic house as well. It just seems part of life for me. 



While some look at January 1st as ‘just another day’, I tend to look at it as a new beginning. I understand that we don’t need a calendar to indicate when we can dedicate ourselves to making a 'new start’, but it seems that it is as good a time as any to begin a new regime or implement a new plan. You seldom here of people beginning a diet or quitting smoking on a Thursday. It seems that Monday is the go to day for turning the page in our lives on certain habits and starting to try to reach new goals.



Why not New Year’s Day then? Even though it is more psychological than anything, it seems like a fine time to clean things up, reorganize, and begin working towards new goals. I suppose it depends on how you look at it. 



With that said, I seem to be a week or so behind in my annual 'reorganization’ process. This year started off at an amazing pace with the crazy amount of orders I had for my Lynne Andrews “12 Days of Christmas” project group page opening. I never would have thought that there would be so many interested in doing this project with me! What a nice and happy surprise. And even though things were wild and crazy for the first week or so of the new year, I feel that things are getting caught up and I am once again in control. What a great feeling!



So in between filling orders and designing and cutting out my prototypes and writing instructions, I have been weeding through my files and reorganizing some closets and drawers and little by little regaining control over my silly life. It feels really good, too! 



Keith is doing the same, although he always seems more organized than me. He is sorting through our website and working on our new catalog which will be available in the next week or so. That is no easy task! As our little company continues to grow, we are adding new products and categories every day. It can be mighty confusing and a bit overwhelming to both us and our customers. We decided to split our catalog into TWO separate files – one for scroll saw patterns and one for painting patterns – to help alleviate the confusion. This will also make it easier for those who want either scroll saw patterns or painting patterns and surfaces from us. The files will be smaller and easier to manage as well. (Of course, people can download or request BOTH catalogs if they are interested!) We find that getting and staying organized on that front is probably one of the most difficult parts of our business. 



So with that said, I am going to keep today’s post short.  I accomplished a great deal yesterday and I hope to do so today as well. I took finished photographs of all of my new patterns and surfaces, and I will be writing the patterns today for the beautiful heart candle tray and the heart ornaments that I showed on Tuesday. I hope to get the patterns on the site by tomorrow.  



I also wanted to share that I (finally!) changed the Free Painting Pattern on the site. I decided to offer this cute little Valentine magnet or ornament pattern at no cost to you:



Just go to the Free Patterns and Resources tab on our site and you can easily download it to your computer. Of course, I sell the heart cutouts, but the design is so easily adaptable to any type of surface you wish. I just love the pretty colors on it! It looks so bright and cheerful and was a lot of fun to paint! 



I have some more new things to show, but I will do that tomorrow. I have a lot more to do today and I want to get started. 



It is another grey and cold day here in Nova Scotia and we had some more snow. But it is nice and cozy inside and I don’t mind it at all. It is a good time to work on these odds and ends and get things in order. 



I wish you all a wonderful and productive day! Happy Thursday to you all! 








via Tumblr http://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/137283277724

No comments:

Post a Comment