Thursday, December 31, 2015

My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer #1672: Looking Back/Looking Ahead

I have always like New Year’s Eve. Not necessarily for the parties (I am too old and boring for that!) but more so for the chance to ‘start over’. It is kind of like Monday. A clean slate. New goals. Fresh beginnings. 



Over the years I have learned to let go of things. The older I get, the more I realize that hanging on to mistakes and things that didn’t work out quite like we planned can be somewhat detrimental to us. It seems the time we spend dwelling on those errors in judgment or behavior could be better spent planning out wonderful things for our future. I have decided that I would rather look ahead than back. 



This doesn’t mean that we disregard our memories. Hopefully we cherish the good memories and learn from the not so good ones. Experience is something that only comes with time and sometimes brings some pain with it. But that is why it is such an effective teacher, I believe.



As I look back on 2015, I think I had a good year. I think I made some good decisions and I also made some not-so-good ones. The business did well and is growing – even in this fragile economic state that we live in, so that is a huge plus.



Some of the mistakes were more costly than others. Not necessarily in terms of dollars, but emotionally. To me, that is far more important, as when we are draining ourselves emotionally, it effects our entire being. But nothing happened that couldn’t be rectified and once again chalked up to 'experience’.  The good thing is that in most cases, I was able to recognize these things and therefore able to rectify the issues that they caused. That is huge.



I’ve done a lot of thinking over these past couple of weeks and during the holidays. That is always good, I believe. This time 'off’ has allowed me to take a step back and really look at things and figure out some of the steps that I want to take with my business and life in general. I think that one of the things that we forget to do most when we get too busy is to take time to unplug and just 'be’. We forget how important that is to our well-being.



If I were to make a vow or a resolution for the year 2016, it would be to try to 'unplug’ more often. I think that in the past, I have underestimated the importance of allowing myself this kindness of  just 'being’. Without thinking of what needs to be done or what I should be doing. To sit quietly and contemplate things around me and my life. To enjoy what I have without feeling the need to add more.  To appreciate. 



The more I get into the habit of doing that, the happier I seem to be. The feelings of longing and want are replaced with feelings of satisfaction and contentment. And that (for me) leads to true happiness. Funny how that works, isn’t it?



So for this last blog post of 2015, I wish you all the best. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all the love, friendship and support you have shown me throughout this past year. It is because of you my friends and customers that I am able to spend each day creating, which is what I believe that I was put on this Earth to do. It is a charmed life really, and one that I am sure is envied. It has been built on hard work, mistakes and most of all support from all of you. For that, I am grateful. 



Both Keith and I wish you all the best in 2016. May you enjoy your triumphs and have the strength and means to face your obsticles. May you seek new challenges and accomplish all you set out to achieve. Most of all, may you find peace and happiness.



 May 2016 be your best year yet. I hope it is mine as well. 





Happy New Year to you All! 








via Tumblr http://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/136323966914

No comments:

Post a Comment