Wednesday, November 11, 2015

My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer #1651: Thinking - The Unseen "Work"

There are days when things fall into somewhat of a lull and other days when my head seems to explode with ideas.  Lately, it seems that I just don’t know where to begin …



From the viewpoint of an outsider looking in, it may have appeared that my day yesterday was one in which I accomplished very little. Besides doing the regular mail and customer correspondence (and of course, my blog here) I spent the day milling about doing the ‘regular’ stuff around the house and … well … 'thinking.' 



As I went from task to task around the house here, my head was spinning with ideas. From Christmas to summer to no season in particular, there just seemed to be a landslide of things that I want to make in the future. It is all very exciting to me! 



It isn’t always like this. Sometimes even though I can think of several different new projects that I can begin on, none of them really seem to turn my fancy. What may seem like a spectacular idea one day can fade into mediocrity the next, and may not even seem worth the time to attempt following through with it. But then there are those special ideas that you can see crystal clear in your head and you just KNOW that with a little time and perseverance, you can pull them off. Those are the keepers. 



I have learned from the past that the most important thing to do when this happens is to WRITE THEM DOWN. I have here on my computer a growing list of these ideas, as what at one moment may seem like the best thing I have thought of in decades, may fade back into my mind and get lost in the depths of my sub-consciousness. It truly happens. Especially when so many come to light at once. 



By writing things down, even if they have lost their lustre by the time I revisit the list, they usually can at least trigger another derivative of the concept with a much 'better’ spin on it. For me, ideas are something that sometimes need to be left a while and nurtured, so they can be cultivated into something wonderful. It is all part of the process. 



I am often asked the question of where I get my ideas from. My answer to those is that they don’t come from any single place. Maybe the color of the sky as the sun is setting will trigger something. Perhaps some iron work that I see in a picture of an old house with a dilapidated gate yawning before it, or a shape of a leaf. Or maybe it is a sound, a picture or a story that I heard throughout the day. They come from any waking moment and every waking moment. We just need to train our senses to see them, as they are all right here before us. For we all live in the same world. We only need to look at it with different eyes.  And we need to think. 



I can’t tell you how excited I am today! It is as if someone turned on a switch and everything makes sense. With that said though, I have nothing new to even tease you with yet, as I haven’t yet picked up my pen to draw. But all I can promise is that there are some cool things to come. I see them in my head and I believe you will like them. I know you will! 



Today is a day of Remembrance for us here in Canada and also Veteran’s Day in the States. Many things around here such as the post office and banks are closed. It is a quiet, somewhat dreary and somber autumn day. It is beautiful out. 



What a wonderful opportunity to spend the day thinking and reflecting. Even though there are not any military personnel in my family, I am as grateful as any for the great sacrifices that our veterans have made. Because of them, we have countless freedoms that we enjoy every day. Without them, our lives would all be very different. How do you express gratitude for something like that? 



The words just don’t seem to be enough. But I thank you all. 



Have a beautiful day. Reflect on your freedom. 




via Tumblr http://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/133000298459

No comments:

Post a Comment