Friday, October 30, 2015

My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer #1645: In Between

I often get creeped out when things all fall into place like they should. I am uncertain why this happens. Perhaps after years of growing up with family, pets and children we learn that even when we try to plan things out in advance, there always seems to be something that happens and things change. Sometimes for the better, sometimes not. 



Lately things have worked out pretty well. Could it be that after all these years I am finally getting the hang of scheduling things for myself?  It hasn’t that I have ‘coasted’ along in my ventures – as there were more crazy/busy days than not – but after the past month of meeting several deadlines and then being able to create some new patterns AND get them posted on the site on time, I am beginning to wonder about myself. It is so unusual for me.  ;) 



I used to (kiddingly) tell my children “If you reach all your goals, you aren’t setting them high enough.”



Even though I only said that in jest (and I made sure they KNEW I was kidding) I wonder if there was a part of me deep down inside that actually believed it. Hummm …  



But as I get older and I re-evaluate my life, I am learning (finally) what IS and is NOT important in this life, and I have been adjusting myself accordingly. And for some weird, unknown reason, it seems to be actually working. 



By late afternoon yesterday our site was updated and I had finished writing my three new patterns. Keith went out for the evening and after tidying up our little place a bit, I made a pot of chili and after dinner sat here with my kitties and thought a bit. 



Nothing was pressing and nothing was 'due’ immediately and I actually had a night to do something 'for ME’. Wow. 



My head began spinning and I almost got caught in the 'not knowing what to do first’ thing. I want to start a new embroidery project. I want to use my colored pencils and learn. I want to paint some new things. I have more scroll saw patterns to draw. The list was long and every item on it was both fun and exciting. So where do I start? 



I decided to work on my drawing skills. I had all the supplies that I needed to make a new pencil drawing, but I didn’t have a clue of what to draw. I am still in the very early 'learning phase’ with pencils, so I thought I would try to work on the October Challenge from Lisa Clough, which was drawing a single rose. The more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea. The reference photo was beautiful and the rose itself was simple, yet complex. The single rose was not as intimidating as several would be and it would be a good exercise for my own learning. So I began.  



Here is what I have after a couple of hours:



It isn’t much, but it is far more difficult than I can imagine. It only has a couple of layers on it and by the time I am done, there will be several more. But it is a great choice for learning and I am glad I chose it. 



Today is going to be a more 'relaxed’ day. For the first time in a long while, I don’t have something screaming at me. The rain stopped and the sun is out and it is cool and beautiful so I may wind up doing something outside like going for a walk. It will be lovely weekend. 



I want you all to know that there will be a special event hosted by Toletown this weekend to celebrate Halloween. 



I am also participating in it and would love to share it with you. If you click on the link above (the Toletown name) after 5pm Eastern time tonight, the link will take you to a map. On the map are many great painting businesses and sites that will offer 'specials’ just for this event. There are all kinds of freebies, coupons and discounts from the different sites, and the event will last until November 1st. I hope you take advantage of these specials. It will be like “Trick or Treating” right from your computer! :) 



And finally today, I want to show a wonderful gift I received from my dear friend in Tennessee – Charlotte:



She generously gave away something each day this month, and I was so thrilled to win this adorable kitty ornament as well as three little mini canvases to paint on. Isn’t the kitty adorable??? I absolutely love it and I will cherish it and think of my sweet friend every time I see it! (She gave me chocolate too, but I (ahem) ate it!) 



You can visit Charlotte’s Facebook page (and LIKE it!) here:  Roma Land Woodcrafts.



She also has a wonderful BLOG where she talks of creating, her family and even shares recipes. I love her posts and enjoy them tremendously. (Oh, and today is her birthday – go wish her some love! :) )



These 'in between’ days are really rather nice. It is nice to feel that I don’t have to always rush around and chase my tail all the time. These little breaths are great for learning and taking time to just 'be’. I have forgotten how good that can feel. 



I wish you all a wonderful weekend. Take time for yourself and to enjoy all the things in your life that are important to you. They won’t always be there, and you will be happy that you did. 



Happy Friday to you!



via Tumblr http://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/132207919349

No comments:

Post a Comment